It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Need help - Headphones with PS3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 pm 
Urban L337

Okay, I would like to use my Sennheisers with my PS3. I'll have the PS3 hooked up to my LCD via HDMI, but the monitor doesn't have an audio out. So I have this adapter that lets me get an analog signal with either my computer speakers or headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Console-Adapter-C ... 130&sr=1-2

However, I'm not sure about two things. How do I adjust the volume? And is there a way to utilize the optical output somehow through adapters and is it even worth it? I could go from optical to 3.5mm to the amp which the headphones would plug into.

I'm hoping you have some knowledge on this, Line.

Post subject: Re: Need help - Headphones with PS3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I run my PS3's audio through my computer so the console's volume level just shows up as another item in the sound mixer for me. It's extremely handy. If you do not want to go this route, you cannot adjust the volume level of the PS3 since your headphones do not have a volume controller.

The feasibility of this option depends on your sound card(s). I have an onboard sound card as well as a Soundblaster X-Fi. The Soundblaster came with a front-bay I/O panel. Consequently, I'm able to run my headphones via audio-out from the back of the Soundblaster and plug my PS3's RCA connections into the front panel for audio input. I have my speakers plugged into my onboard sound card so I can quickly switch off from my headphones with a few clicks in the volume control panel.

If you don't have a sound card with more than two audio inputs (I assume you're currently using one for your microphone), you'll need some sort of mixer or a front-bay I/O panel. If you only have one audio-in port you could split it with a 3.5mm splitter, but then you won't be able to use your microphone while sound is being output from your PS3 (this is important for me as I am usually on Ventrilo while playing a game on my PS3). If you have a front-bay I/O panel with RCA inputs, you are all set. Otherwise you'll need to get an adapter to convert RCA to 3.5mm (ie. what you linked above). You'll then need a male-to-male 3.5mm adapter so that you can plug the converted RCA audio into your soundcard.

All of this is of course assuming that you do not want to switch what your headphones are plugged into every time you want to use your PS3 or your computer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 pm 
Urban L337

Okay I have a Soundblaster X-Fi (not sure which model) and I'll have to look around for the soundcard that came with my motherboard (Asus p5E). I don't mind plugging and unplugging my headphones and at the moment I use a USB mic. Noob question, but what front-bay I/O panel are you referring to (pic please)?

Now you're saying I can also just get an RCA female to 3.5mm male adapter and would be able to plug the PS3 right into my Soundblaster and adjust the volume through my computer while still using my headphones?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:27 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Fox is talking about something like this. Most X-Fi models came with it but they didn have a baseline version that didn't I think. If you had the front panel, you wouldn't need a RCA-stereo adapter you could just plug the two RCA jacks directly in.

http://us.creative.com/products/product ... duct=17813

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:47 pm 
Urban L337

Okay I see what you're saying now Fox, and yeah I don't have that front panel. That's a pretty sick set-up though, I'm gonna have to save up for that now lol. So what do you recommend that I do if I just have one soundcard?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:11 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Depending on your X-Fi model, you can purchase the front-bay I/O panel separately and just hook it up.

If you don't want to buy the I/O panel you'll have to convert the RCA jacks to 3.5mm and then take the converted output and run it into a 3.5mm male jack. From there you can just plug the 3.5mm jack into your microphone port on the sound card.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]