It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Hyper-V
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 am 
Spam Much?

Whiz? Do you use Hyper-V for anything? I'm thinking about installing it for home use cause ESX won't take on my pentium d spare CPU for some reason. Pros? Cons? I know its not vmware but I'll take what will work for what I need :(

Post subject: Re: Hyper-V
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:29 am 
]BoS[ Leader

We use it at work for our production server. As far as I know it is only available in windows server 2008 though? The R2 version is supposed to be even better but we're stuck with the gold release. But I really like Hyper V over Virtual Server 2005.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 am 
]BoS[ Member

We use hyper v as well along with ISCSI. Few things to be aware of, Server 08 R2 is 64 bit only, secondly most pentium D's don't support virtualization, so you are probably fucked there, check if your revision does. Thirdly, there are vast improvements with Hyper-v R2 and many bugs with regular hyper-v, so you will want R2. Also, the reason vmware wont "take" with your pentium D is probably because it doesnt support virtualization!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:55 am 
Spam Much?

Fucking Pentium D. I figured that was it, I just never cared to check ^_^ I'll just leave this debian running on it as my ns2 and use it for some other various shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Fuck, you can get a Pentium D chip on the cheap that supports virtualization.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Or do it semi right and get a C2Q 8400 or higher. When running hyper v you are not necessarily worried about proc speed as you are the amount of cores you have in your server. If you want some raw numbers I can get some reports on our R905 cluster (4 servers, each quad quads) and our 2950s (2 servers each dual quads) and you can see the difference in performance... If you upgraded to a C2Q, have 4gb of RAM, you could feasibly run 4 guests in hyper v. Though it may feel slow because you are bottlenecked by your hard drives(s). The amount of spindals matter too, 4 guests - a SQL server, exchange, file server, and dns - each shares the drive(s), exchange and SQL are both heavy on IO. Where as in a physical enviornment, each server would have typically 3-5 drives in a raid 50 configuration, or be attached to some network storage array.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]