It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Todd or Dagger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:52 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Do either of you guys have experience using the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver command? To give you a little background, we apparently changed the computer name of one of our SQL Servers since we first installed it. So I'm trying to setup replication for a specific project and it is failing to setup the distribution server because it is using one computer name but looking for roles assigned to users under the other computer name. That make sense? So computer name was "RIGHTBROWNIE" (don't ask, I don't know) and now it is "RIGHTDB". In order to even start replication I have to start a connection to "RIGHTBROWNIE" which works but technically doesn't even exist anymore. Then when it goes to actually create the agent and configure distribution it is looking for roles assigned to RIGHTDB which don't exist.

So apparently this is a widely talked about issue on the net and the solution is to just do sp_dropserver and then sp_addserver. But I don't know if this will kill all of my databases, logins, jobs, etc. on the server or just pull it from a "list" so I can re-add it. Any thoughts?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]