It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Golf Clubs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:17 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I know Brent will chime in here but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on golfing. I've been looking on and off at golf sets/clubs for a year or so now for personal, but even for business, reasons. I know before I hired in that our company used to go golfing at least a couple times a year but my wife's family goes quite often as well. I'd like to learn/try to play, but I don't even know where to start with clubs like what I should buy, what I shouldn't buy.

Anyone that has played or has their own set, can you post links to what you have and give me some pointers on how/what to buy? Oh and Brent if you don't post here I'll kick you in the nuts.

Post subject: Re: Golf Clubs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

LOL, Honestly don't go buy expensive clubs for your first set. Find a used set. Secondly, don't get graphite shafts unless they are stiff shafts, go steel if you have a choice. Thirdly, get cavity back clubs, and probably off set. You have 2 options on clubs, cavity back or blades. You or any other beginner or amateur should never use blades, they are not as forgiving when you mishit a ball. I will ask around to see if any one I know has a good used set.

Golf clubs are like shoes, they all feel different and they do not fit everyone.

I really stress the idea of not getting an expensive set until you feel like your getting the game down and you are playing well enough that you know your swing.

Kaleb and Todd are both avid golfers, and they will probably agree.

I will give you ONE really big tip for golfers. Spend more time on the putting green and chipping than on the driving range. Yeah you feel big and bad hitting the ball 300 yards, but anyone will tell you putting and your short game is key. Anyone can out drive me, but when I played a ton I raped face on and around the green.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:13 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Horseshoe wrote:
LOL, Honestly don't go buy expensive clubs for your first set. Find a used set. Secondly, don't get graphite shafts unless they are stiff shafts, go steel if you have a choice. Thirdly, get cavity back clubs, and probably off set. You have 2 options on clubs, cavity back or blades. You or any other beginner or amateur should never use blades, they are not as forgiving when you mishit a ball. I will ask around to see if any one I know has a good used set.

Golf clubs are like shoes, they all feel different and they do not fit everyone.

I really stress the idea of not getting an expensive set until you feel like your getting the game down and you are playing well enough that you know your swing.

Kaleb and Todd are both avid golfers, and they will probably agree.

I will give you ONE really big tip for golfers. Spend more time on the putting green and chipping than on the driving range. Yeah you feel big and bad hitting the ball 300 yards, but anyone will tell you putting and your short game is key. Anyone can out drive me, but when I played a ton I raped face on and around the green.

I agree with the cavity back clubs, you mishit a blade and it hurts like a mother-fucker. If your looking into getting a used set of clubs look for Ping eye 2 or 3. They are a great beginner set and were about the most popular set in the 90's so there has to be a shit-ton of them. If they are a bit out-dated for you I'd say look into some older Titleist (I hit older Titleist iron and love them). Horseshoe is right in thinking don't go out and buy a brand-new set of Callway irons, but a proper set is expensive for a reason, I've hit just about every style and brand of clubs and the last thing you want is some cheap Golden Bears which you will mishit everytime, generally the more expensive the cavity back, the bigger sweet spot on the club face. Absolutely make sure that the used Irons you buy have good set of grooves, if the club face looks worn in don't bother, you'll get no spin on the ball and you won't be able to land a green to save your life.

I'm a long-ball hitter that plays the bomb and gouge method, so granted what Horse-shoe says about chipping and green is true but I think you need to develop a full-swing first. If you can't get to the green in any decent amount putting and chipping will do you nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 pm 
Urban L337

Yawn... seriously - don't spend more then $2-300 on your first set. Go to MC sports, or some sports-o-rama palce and get a Tommy Armour III, cavity back with regular flex shafts. It's not worth it to spend anything more than that on your first set. Then go to Meijer and buy a 460cc Driver for $20 and you'll be set. I wouldn't even bother with golf shoes for starting unless you can get a cheapy set for $20 or so.

After that yeah you'll need to go to the driving range a lot - and go with someone who knows how to golf and can give you pointers. Learn a grip and momentum in a swing first. I can't tell you not to overdue it b/c I know you'll swing like Tiger a few times to see how far you can hit it - and thats fine. You gotta learn mechanics.

I don't think you need to worry about what kind of golf ball you play with either. I would start off with a pinnacle 3pc ball. They are like $15-20 for 18? You'll lose them so don't worry none. Or the Nike Mojo - I use those in a scramble sometimes :)

I worked in a private proshop last year and know far more than is necessary to swing a club. I've been playing the same irons I've had since I played in high school - mainly b/c they were custom fit to me, and you can't buy them anymore b/c its a health hazard :) lol GJ ping for using copper & beryllium. I've gone through a few drivers, and actually gave 2 of mine away last year to kids at the course. Oh you'll need a putter too - get some knock off brand of a 2 ball mallet putter. If you google search it you'll know what I'm talking about. Check craigslist or what not - but don't invest any substantial amount for your first go round.

Woot woot - geek golf talk - Who's excited about the 2nd yr pricing of the Titleist AP2 irons w/ Project X rifle shafts & Winn oversize grips :) I could pickup a custom set for around $900 thinking about doing that and retiring these Ping ISI BeCu Irons. Want to send them back to Karsten, AZ and have them refinished and them put in a case and lock em up. The pro at the golf course last year thought I was stupid for still playing with them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm 
Urban L337

Oh here are some links

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/RCSE2515/Snake_Eyes/Viper_XT_Iron_Set_with_Steel

http://www.mcsports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3437328&cp=2766271.714659.1309436.714763&fpricesort=priceAscending&filter=yes&fCat=714763&parentPage=family
^^ Prolly wont be able to beat that one with a stick. Bag, woods, hybrids, and irons for $300 lol plus its Anti -Slice :) lol

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?categoryId=2273504&f=PAD%2FGender%2FMens&s=A-StorePrice-DSP&f=PAD%2FShaft+Material%2FSteel&fbc=1&fbn=Shaft+Material|Steel&fbx=0
^^
More choices...

http://www.mcsports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2879405&cp=1734383.1309850&parentPage=family
^^Balls

Should be enough to point you in the right direction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 pm 
Spam Much?

I can probably get you some clubs on the cheap like 25-30 bucks. It'll be ragtag as hell but have everything. My uncle is a golf coach and has about 40+ bags of golf clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 am 
]BoS[ Member

Killer wrote:
Yawn... seriously - don't spend more then $2-300 on your first set. Go to MC sports, or some sports-o-rama palce and get a Tommy Armour III, cavity back with regular flex shafts. It's not worth it to spend anything more than that on your first set. Then go to Meijer and buy a 460cc Driver for $20 and you'll be set. I wouldn't even bother with golf shoes for starting unless you can get a cheapy set for $20 or so.

After that yeah you'll need to go to the driving range a lot - and go with someone who knows how to golf and can give you pointers. Learn a grip and momentum in a swing first. I can't tell you not to overdue it b/c I know you'll swing like Tiger a few times to see how far you can hit it - and thats fine. You gotta learn mechanics.

I don't think you need to worry about what kind of golf ball you play with either. I would start off with a pinnacle 3pc ball. They are like $15-20 for 18? You'll lose them so don't worry none. Or the Nike Mojo - I use those in a scramble sometimes :)

I worked in a private proshop last year and know far more than is necessary to swing a club. I've been playing the same irons I've had since I played in high school - mainly b/c they were custom fit to me, and you can't buy them anymore b/c its a health hazard :) lol GJ ping for using copper & beryllium. I've gone through a few drivers, and actually gave 2 of mine away last year to kids at the course. Oh you'll need a putter too - get some knock off brand of a 2 ball mallet putter. If you google search it you'll know what I'm talking about. Check craigslist or what not - but don't invest any substantial amount for your first go round.

Woot woot - geek golf talk - Who's excited about the 2nd yr pricing of the Titleist AP2 irons w/ Project X rifle shafts & Winn oversize grips :) I could pickup a custom set for around $900 thinking about doing that and retiring these Ping ISI BeCu Irons. Want to send them back to Karsten, AZ and have them refinished and them put in a case and lock em up. The pro at the golf course last year thought I was stupid for still playing with them.

Nice the old school copper ping eye 2's were a clasic when I started playing and that was 13 years ago. Though I don't agree with the two-ball knock off putter. I personally use an old school Achusnet Bullseye b/c it is very easy to swing it and your chances of pulling and pushing your shot are deminished. I used to use an Odyssey 2-ball but it was harder for me to have a good stroke with it b/c the damn thing weighed so much, but really it is all a matter of preference. I've upgraded putters five times and I always go back to that bull's-eye in about two months or so. (MY dad's the same way, he's upgraded four times and everytime he goes back to his putter of 30 years or so, which is nice b/c I can then use his recently purchased one for free :) ) In terms of golf ball play something which has feel, screw distance balls cause you'll never get any spin on them and unless your a really strong driver it won't have much effect. (Unless your in a scramble, then bust out the distance balls on the long drive contest, won two long drives by mere yards and I think the ball helped)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 am 
]BoS[ Leader

I would check craigslist because there are a ton of used clubs in b-town. I will be coming down there in a couple weeks I think, I can help you out or show you some stuff. I will bring my sticks, and I can give you some good lessons. I am a pretty good coach. I used to charge for lessons and made fat cash, but I also used to be a Jr. High golf coach and also worked with several golf schools. Every person learns differently, and if I can teach my wife, I can teach anyone :) I am not as good as I used to be, but I still have much knowledge to teach. Like I tell every person who is starting out, even ASIANS that I charge $40 an hour for lessons. Go get you a Pitching Wedge or Sand Wedge and some old golf balls in a 5 gallon bucket. Go to a baseball field and start hitting the ball. The key is first making contact and developing a swing. If you can make solid contact hitting the ball 50-70 yards you can do it with any club in the bag. Plus it is easier to walk 50 yards over 100+ and it is good practice because normal grass = the rough and to be honest you will spend much of your time in the rough vs. the fairway starting out. Also hitting balls at a local park is FREE, driving ranges charge $8 for 75 balls. Not worth it to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:00 am 
]BoS[ Leader

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/searc ... maxAsk=max

Any on that list look like a good buy? If someone says the women's clubs I'll kick them in the nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:35 am 
Spam Much?

the womens clubs are about your speed whiz, i hear they even have pink grips on them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:07 pm 
Nuke

I would not listen to Brent, hes awful

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 pm 
Nuke

Why didnt I know that all you homos play golf? lets put something together and get drunk and play some golf!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 pm 
Nuke

p.s. I'll work you pussies on the course

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

rofl, you know I will rape your face son. Even if we do play the wrong hole, I will make your but hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:01 pm 
Urban L337

How about you just post three times in a row? when you could have made one post. You post-whore And no on talks about golf in winter b/c well its winter, just like no one talks about mountain skiing in summer... u dolt. Brent I think you and I would be a good matchup. I'm really gonna try to get under a 7 this year. I wanna be a 5... thats saying a lot though. my goal is 5.9 ghin :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 pm 
Nuke

My bad, I thought I needed to break it up so you didn't get confused :p Its not winter it was 70 and sunny the last 2 days (I played golf yesterday)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:30 am 
]BoS[ Leader

Yeah, Kaleb used to be really good as did I. We have both done well in the state. We should go play this year. I will set something up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
Nuke

me playing golf is worse than silentnight's alzheimers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

They're taking our...wait what was it again?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm 
Nuke

THEY'RE AT HOME PLATE... THEY'RE TAKINNN OUR TANK "AGIIINNN"

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next