It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: help with internet problems?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am 
Urban L337

My rig has been acting really wonky over the past few months and I'm wondering if it's time for a rebuild, or at least a reformat. I am really considering buying an SSD and just reformatting but I wanted to check here and see if there is possibly another cause to my issues. Recently I have been having trouble with my web browsers and my internet in general. The Network and Sharing Center indicates my connection is terrific (wireless), but whenever I attempt to use a web browser or another program requiring the internet it acts as if I have no connection. Chrome in specific says that the DNS server has failed. I tried connecting to a different DNS server and refreshing it etc., but it didn't help. Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing this problem? All other devices and computers on my (wireless) network are using the internet fine, my desktop is the only one with issues.

Post subject: Re: help with internet problems?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am 
]BoS[ Leader

To be honest, troubleshooting networking issues really hinges on how well you know your router and basic networking knowledge. If your IP on your desktop looks good, you could try to ping localhost. That could tell you if the network card is bad. You could also try to ping another computer on the network as that may or may not give you more insight into the issue. Also, make sure you can ping the IP of your router as well (listed as default gateway). It sounds like your router is perfectly fine though since other devices connect without issues. Also, make sure it isn't something silly like you are on someone else's wireless connection. This will likely only get you pointed in the right direction as far as what to troubleshoot as you have to deal with the possibility of issues with the NIC, OS, router, and other software issues. Another very simple test would be to plug directly into the back of the router with an ethernet cable and bypass wireless altogether and see if your issues go away. If that fixes your issue, you know your wireless device is probably bad. If you're using a laptop, I saw a lot of issues with wireless cards becoming unseated back when I was doing PC repair since they get jostled around a bunch in bags and backpacks. So if your wired connection works fine, then that might be an option to explore also.

If you haven't gotten anywhere with the stuff above and all the hardware seems fine then I'd say that your best bet would be to reformat. Network related issues span such a wide range of possible problems that it can be very difficult to troubleshoot unless you are getting very specific errors or information pointing you to one specific problem. This is especially true if you've been able to rule out hardware as being an issue. It could be something simple to fix, but the time spent on google trying to find the solution might not be worth it...especially since you are already contemplating buying SSDs. You'd need to do a clean install of the OS with those anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:17 pm 
Urban L337

Thanks whiz. Well, I brought my rig to work and set it up on the network here. I tested the wireless and ethernet connections and both are working perfectly. I do need to replace my motherboard battery but I don't know if that's what would be causing the mix up at home. Obviously it's working just fine here, so now is there any other suggestions you may have for my home network?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I can't think of any reason why the wireless would work at work but not at home. You should try it at home via ethernet and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 pm 
Urban L337

Problem solved. We switched from Fios to Comcast recently and the modem/WiFi router combo unit had terrible WiFi capabilities and I guess it wasn't reaching my computer well enough despite showing a solid connection. I hooked up a Netgear N wireless access point I had and now the internet is working great.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]