It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Tera (Action MMO)
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:54 am 
]BoS[ Leader

So a few of us in our EVE corp have been getting a little burnt out due to current game mechanics and community mindset and needed a break from EVE. People would rather quit playing the game completely for the week that we declare war on them than to fight us so PVP activity has been way down. So a few of the guys picked up Tera. I had some reservations with how Tera would mix with GW2 when it comes out soon and decided to just give it a shot. Holy shit I am glad I did. Something else that is really awesome too is that Tera has made me even MORE excited for GW2. The combat in Tera and GW2 are close but there are subtle differences that make both games great. In Tera, you have a crosshair and you literally have to aim your attacks. Also, there is collision which is amazing. This means that if you swing your sword in a wide arc, it will hit anything within that arc. There are very few skills that you select (or tab) target with and lock on. Everything else you have to aim. Just like GW2, you can (and have to) move out of the way to avoid getting hit. It truly takes some skill and I'm excited because it will create the same skill gap that I'm really looking forward to in GW2 also.

There is really so much that I tried to write up a quick comparison and it was just too involved for a forum post. The PvE in Tera is so much fucking fun right now and I know it is only going to get more challenging and hard. Hit me up on TS3 if you want me to run you through the differences and how I feel about both games and where/what I see myself doing in both. I'm having a freaking blast in Tera and I'm super stoked now for GW2 to come out also.

Here are a few videos.

Lancer (my char's class) early combat

Launch trailer (there is very little CGI in this, nearly all in-game). You can see the slight Japanese-esque flavor to the game art. Weapons are heavily exaggerated, lot's of boobs and ass (lolz), and one weird panda race called the Popori or something weird. The environment is absolutely stunning. The game environment and art is 100% on par with GW2 although in Tera there is a little more bloom which is annoying at times.

An example overview of one of their dungeons...fucking awesome. I did my first one last night at lvl 20 and it was so much fun (and epic).

Enmasse (the game company) actually officially calls these guys BAMs (Big ass monsters). This is an example. Their scale reminds me of some of the shit we fought in Serious Sam. So much fun.

---
Overall, if you think you might be interested in getting it, hit me up on TS3. I can give you a really good idea of what you're getting into (especially if you might want to do both GW2 and Tera and want a comparison).

Post subject: Re: Tera (Action MMO)
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am 
]BoS[ Leader

It is really funny because this is exactly the same response I hear from nearly everyone I know who is playing Tera. The quests are typical MMO grindfest but you're okay with it because it means you get to go play the game heh.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/05/07/tera

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:08 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Looks like I may have to check it out thanks for the recommendation whiz been looking for another mmo to play.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

If you needed more convincing. =)

http://www.blogtera.com/five-reasons-to ... ra-online/

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am 
]BoS[ Member

I was thinking about getting it, but can't bring myself to pay for another subscription. Is it really that worth it? What level are you now? What is the PVP like?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

NOTE: TL;DR at the bottom if you want to skip the wall of text.

If you get the game, you have to get it for the combat system. The story line is mediocre (nothing like TOR of course, but on par with WoW and others). I honestly haven't done any of the PvP as they only have a few PvP servers and it is open world PvP right now but they will be adding in battlegrounds and other stuff "soon" most likely. However, some of the guys have done PvP duels and said it was fucking awesome.

As for buying it and paying for the subscription, my gut feeling (and this is shared by nearly all the guys I play with currently) is that Tera will be my go-to PvE game. The PvE combat is so much fun and provides a huge adrenaline rush. However, my guess is that the PvP system (open-world) will feel limited long-term. I have a feeling GW2 will be my long-term PvP game. GW2 currently offers more for PvP since they have organized (small team pvp), world vs. world pvp, and a much deeper character development with much more options to customize your play-style through the skill tree. Tera's character development comes through your gear and add-ons for your gear.

Right now I'm level 23 and even if I stopped right now it would be worth my $60. Honestly, what I see happening is I'll probably drop my EVE subscriptions and replace them with my Tera subscription. I plan on playing the PvE in that game for a very long time as I honestly think it is more enjoyable than the time I spent in PvE in GW2 during the beta. Whenever the next beta for GW2 hits, I'm sure I'll be able to really contrast the differences between the two games.

TL;DR - It was worth the money for me even if I stop now at lvl 23. My gut feeling is that GW2 will be the better PvP game and Tera will be the better PvE game. I plan on still playing both once GW2 comes out.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am 
]BoS[ Member

well i got a 60 zerker on Jagged Coast. dont know if you play on that server or not.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:02 am 
]BoS[ Leader

Gurt wrote:
well i got a 60 zerker on Jagged Coast. dont know if you play on that server or not.

Nice dude! We are all playing on Frost Reach, if you're on that server alone you should move your character to FR.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 am 
]BoS[ Leader

More importantly though, how are you liking the game?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:39 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Its not bad, i like one shotting squishies at the end but other then that i dont do anything.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]