It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Anno 2070
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 am 
]BoS[ Member

Well, if you guys are anything like me you're probably pretty bored in terms of gaming right now.

A couple days ago I stumbled upon the game "Anno 2070"... Had never heard of it. It can best be described as the game you would get by mashing together Command & Conquer or StarCraft with Sim City with a hint of Age of Empires thrown in.

The game takes place in the year 2070 and basically Earth has been messed up environmentally flooding the bejesus out of most coast lines and causing the world to break into factions trying to rebuild.

There's three factions, I don't know their real names but it's pretty much the granola munching, tree huggers who are all about the environment... You have the industrialists who consume everything and build quickly and then theres a high tech faction that can build massive under water cities.

The goal of the game is pretty much to be build a civilization... You have to build housing, roads, power plants, infrastucture, production facilities, etc to meet the many needs of your population. You can interact with NPC characters as well as human players in the game (since there's persistent online multiplayer on top of the single player campaign and sandbox modes)

You establish trade routes with your partners, negotiate treaties politically and if need be... Declare war.

The game does have combat but that's not exactly the primary focus, it adds to it very nicely though (defensive structures, battleships, aircraft, etc)

To top it all off, somehow the graphics are the nicest I've seen in any real time strategy, it looks amazing and the sound track is incredible.

Seriously pick this game up or download it via Steam if you want countless hours of quality fun... I'm looking in your direction Bengal.

Post subject: Re: Anno 2070
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:07 pm 
]BoS[ Member

I was thinking about getting this game because i love a good base building game, the lack of combat is what kept me from buying it. Is it just cheesy combat or at least somewhat interesting?

Post subject: Re: Anno 2070
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:41 am 
]BoS[ Member

Gurt wrote:
I was thinking about getting this game because i love a good base building game, the lack of combat is what kept me from buying it. Is it just cheesy combat or at least somewhat interesting?

Nothing wrong with the combat in this game.

Don't expect massive Command & Conquer type battles though as combat in this game is clearly not the primary focus. I think you are limited to gun boats, battleships, defence cannons, AA guns, attack aircraft and maybe a couple more things but they don't come around until late game and supporting an army (supplies wise) takes a pretty good toll if you suck at building up a decent economy.

When you do engage in battle it's... how should I put this... slower paced? It's not like there's a shower of explosions and everything is dead, you'll be trading fire with other ships and chipping away at each other before you lose a unit (which is good because you have a billion things to look after in this game so it's not like if you blink for 2 seconds your entire trade fleet of freighters will be gone)

It's definitely nice having that aspect in the game but make no mistake, this games REAL strengths lie in the civilization building, resource collection, politics, trade, creativity aspect etc.

You'll honestly forget how long you're playing it because you just get lost in the world (it actually pops up and reminds you to take a break every 2 hours you spend in-game... lol)

I've spend 6 hours on a map and only developed as far as tier 2 units/structures (I think there's 4 or 5 tiers) so the value for dollar ratio is NICE and high in the gamers favour.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]