It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Planetside: Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
]BoS[ Member

I will be playing, no doubt in my mind.

I probably played close to 1000 hours in the original game before I met my wife.

That's way too much lol. I'd love for you guys to join up with me though, it offers a strategic/FPS feel and is big on squad play. You can also play solo too, and can hop in and out of battles so you're not powergrinding like other MMO's.

Anyways, here's some random links and information about the upcoming title:

Quote:
...tentatively titled Planetside Next. Sony has hinted at a sequel with that working title before, but this is the first time that we've gotten wind of a release window.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said. "We've learned some lessons with Everquest II , not one of the better moves that we've ever made. We should have called it EverQuest Something. Having Everquest I and II sit on the shelves at the same time, in hindsight, was probably not the the brightest of moves."

That's because the two fantasy MMOs are separate products which both have their own servers and audience. That will be less of a problem with Planetside, due to the small number of people still playing the 7 year old game on its one remaining server. Does Smedley think that the update will bring in more players than the first one did? Well, it's safe to say that he is excited about it.

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."

Quote:
Reboot should be announced in March
If our sources are right, the often rumored reboot of the Planetside franchise is likely to be announced this March. The MMOFPS has been the subject of rumors for quite some time, but Sony has yet to announce anything regarding a new Planetside offering.

The first rumor that we heard about the possibility of a new Planetside was way back in October or maybe November of 2009, but nothing really materialized to confirm that this was the case. Now, we have learned that apparently Sony has been quietly working on it; but don’t get too excited, as it does apparently still have a way to go to get to release.

While some are calling the new title Planetside Next, we have been told not to count on that as the de facto release name, as it will likely be changed before it arrives to the public. It is expected (from the whispers we hear) that there will be a first look in March with a more in-depth look at E3, and an actual launch sometime in very late 2011 or perhaps early 2012.

From Developer:
Quote:
in other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it.

Post subject: Re: Planetside: Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm 
]BoS[ Member

New NC Vanguard Tank:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Nice. I'd play this with you. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

when does it come out?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Can you repair tanks? I really like getting run over by Desert while fixin his ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Scheduled to come out according to the above quotes in Late 2011, Early 2012. No idea about when the beta comes out.

In the original Planetside you can repair anything, from generators at the base, to respawn tubes, to air vehicles, to tanks, to your own armor, etc.

I resubscribed recently and have been having fun, but there's definitely not as many people playing as there used to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
]BoS[ Member

I guess I should give some background on the original since I think only Crys/Fox/Xen has played it.

The premise is that mankind traveled through some space time continuum thing and ended up on these 10 separate continents (I think it's ten, I can't remember). The space-time continuum thing ended up closing, and shut off everyone that was on the new continents. These people found that they in effect had eternal life - when they died they could respawn at the nearest chamber using their DNA sequencing which had been captured. The people left over eventually split into 3 factions warring for control over the continents: The Terran Republic (TR) (Black & Red), Vanu Sovereignty (VS) (Purple & teal), and the New Conglomerate (NC) (Blue and Yellow).

The Terran Republic, which is what I always played as, has excellent medium range weapons, and is fantastic in the open field, and is hardest to master. Think high rate of fire, low damage. The Vanu Sovereignty is the technophiles, they have lasers & other cool shit like that. They are the balance in between the NC & TR. The New Conglomerate is known for punch. They have some of the highest initial damage weapons and vehicles, but slower ROF.

The object of the game is to capture and hold continents by capturing all the bases on the continent. Some continents give bonuses for capturing them. For instance, if Oshur is captured, then all vehicles can generate a shield when in the SOI (strength of influence) at any base on any continent.

On each of the separate continents, to capture a base you must have a link to the base. There is an entire lattice link over all 10 continents which make it possible to only attack if you have a link to the continent. Here is a picture of Searhus, one of the continents:

That picture may be a bad example, as that yellowish color base that isn't blue, red, or purple is a hackable base by any empire, regardless of lattice link. This brings in a very cool element to the game which I will explain later.

There are several types of bases. The first is a Tech Plant. If you own control over a tech plant on the continent you are fighting on, you can pull advanced vehicles (Main battle tanks, Advanced Air-Craft, Advanced Anti-Air). The next one is an Amp Station. With an Amp station your vehicles generate shields which don't normally generate unless one of these are had. An interlink station allows any bases connected with it to get improved radar capabilities to view enemies on the radar around the SOI. The interlink facility is also the hardest to try and take over, because there are only a couple choke points which can be held down by a good group of shooters. The last one is a Bio-Laboratory. If you own one of these, you get faster respawns upon dying and they also allow you to change certifications & implants, which I will get to later.

Every empire also has a sanctuary, where no other empire can attack, and if you have lost all of the other continents except your sanctuary, then you can stage raids there and pull vehicles to attack one of the continents you have a link to. From your sanctuary, you are linked to two continents which are considered your home continents. Owning these gives you no bonuses, but if another empire captures them, they can use all weapons and vehicles which are specific to your empire.

Galaxy Map:

Continents are on the two sides. Caves are at the top. If a continent is Red, it means TR owns it, purple, VS, blue NC. If there is no color it's currently being contested. From this view you can see all the links each continent has to another continent. There are generally four links to each continent.

Last edited by AK1200 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 pm 
]BoS[ Member

So the object is to hack all of the continents and win the game - but it just doesn't happen because with three empires there's always someone trying to nip you in the bud.

In reference to the last post - with the expansion 'Aftershock' it introduced caves where tight spaces make infantry fighting fantastic, and vehicles aren't used a whole lot. If your empire has captured all of the bases in one of the caves that is linked to your continents, your empire gets bonuses. Bonuses include a shield for the base - making enemies unable to move vehicles through the entrances of a base; a healing mod - slowly heals infantry; Pain module - enemies entering into your spawn room or generator are dealt higher damage upon entering; a vehicle mod - which allows for a vehicle called the flail, which is basically artillery, and an ATV like vehic; and a weapon mod - which allows people who have the proper certifications to pull advanced weaponry, which will be discussed later.

Types of Infantry:

Cloaker - One small slot. You are invisible to everyone if you move slowly, and have limited invisibility when moving fast (think from 0% at immobile, to 5% walking slowly, to 20% opacity when running). You have 100 health, no armor.
Standard - What you respawn with, one small slot, one main. 100 health, 50 armor. Not recommended.
Agile - Only one main weapon slot, two smaller slots which can be used for repair, healing, hacking, etc. Medium soldier. You have 100 health, 100 armor.
Reinforced Exosuit (Rexo) - Two main weapon slots, two smaller slots, heavy soldier. You have 100 health, 200 armor, walk slower than agile.
MAX - these are like small battlemechs, one is Anti-Infantry, another is Anti-Vehicle, another is Anti-Air. Out in the open, they are pretty easy to kill, but inside a base or on the walls of a base they really shine. They have a running mode where you can't fire but they can travel pretty fast. The VS bonus with MAX is the ability to have limited flight with them. The NC gets an additional shield, which gives more HP. The TR MAX can lock down and double their rate of fire, but renders them immobile. Introduced recently the TR MAX also gained a capacitor which enables it to use the double rate of fire without locking down for a short period of time. 100 Health, 650 armor, walk slower than rexo.

Weaponry:

Everyone starts out with Basic Assault. Basic Assault includes nades, a shitty gun, and any of the pistols. In medium assault, everyone has access to the punisher, a low DPS gun but has the ability to shoot nades too, and the sweeper, a shotgun. Everyone also has access to a sniper rifle if you own the Sniper certification. A sniper shot takes two shots to kill a full health Rexo/Agile, one hit for cloaker. People who played the game for 3 years get access to a scout sniper rifle, which takes about 5 shots to kill someone. Special Assault contains a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher.

Empire Specific weaponry:

Medium Assault : NC has gauss rifle (High Damage, Accurate, lowest ROF, small clip). TR has the Cycler (Low Damage, Not-so-accurate, High ROF, large clip). VS has a cool weapon, the pulsar (Medium Damage, fairly accurate, low ROF, medium clip). which can flip between AP and AI with a right mouse click (uses same ammo), as opposed to the other two empires that have to switch ammunition and carry the different AP/AI ammunition.

Heavy Assault : NC has the jackhammer, the weapon of choice for haxors like Bone. Two well placed shots and an Agile is dead, Three for rexo, one for cloaker. It is high damage, low ROF & has two modes, one being single shot, and the other being a triple shot, which aimed correctly can kill anything in one shot, but its really hard to do (and I mean really hard, because it staggers the three shots and people move). The TR have the MCG (mini-chaingun). High-ROF, low damage, sounds the coolest, and used in tandem with a well-coordinated squad can own a similar squad of jackhammer users. The VS have the Lasher, which shoots orbs that can deal damage even if not a direct hit. It's a fantastic weapon but the orbs are not very accurate. Like most of VS, its medium in about everything.

Anti-Vehicular: NC has the phoenix. You can dumb-fire it, or enter into a camera mode and fire it around obstacles guiding it with the camera. High Damage, Low ROF. The TR has the Striker. This allows you to lock on to armor & MAX's like a heat-seeking missile. Low Damage, high ROF. VS has the lancer, which shoots in a straight line. It's medium in everything but has the longest range, and its really hard to kill air vehicles with it, but excels against sniping vehicles & MAX's.

Advanced Alien Weaponry from the caves: The Maelstrom : If you have Heavy Assault certed you can access this when you have a cave lock. It has three methods of fire. One is a lightning arc which does terrific damage, one is a grenade ball of lightning which explodes on contact and can jump from person to person if close enough, and the third one is a time-delayed grenade ball. If you have Medium Assault you can get the Spiker, a pistol that when you charge it up gives higher damage the longer you charge it up, and explodes in a small radius. Very useful for cloakers. If you have special assault certed, you get access to a weapon that creates orbs of pain that slowly kill someone who walks through them. Excellent for clearing out a camped room as the orbs can go through walls. They only last for about 20 seconds.

MAX:

TR: Dual-Cycler (DC) - Anti-Infantry, when locked down, becomes a death machine for mowing down infantry. When not locked down, not as good as other empires.
Pounder - Anti-Vehicle - shoots grenades in a low arc that are excellent at taking out vehicles/MAXes
Burster - Anti-Air - shoots flak particles that burst when an enemy aircraft is hit, causing damage. In the right hands, best AA.

NC: Scattermax : Best AI Max in the game. Highest DPS thing that's let inside a building. Shoots shotgun.
Sparrow : AA Max, shoots locked on missiles that are fire & forget.
Falcon - can't remember - but it shoots missiles, prob worst AV Max.

VS: Quasar - AI, shoots laser beams and can either use AI/AP settings. Pretty good because of the jump jets (all VS Max have them)
Starfire - AA - best AA in game. Can jump over aircraft shooting rockets and has lock on lasers to take down Air.
Comet - decent AV because of jumping again.

Last edited by AK1200 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Vehicles:

Every empire has access to the following:
ATV - Can get an AI, AV, or invisible ATV (have to be a cloaker for the invisibility to work), lowest armor.
Deliverer - land-based, Used for small squads, amphibious, two 25mm guns, medium armor.
Sunderer - land-based, Used for a full squad, two 75mm cannons, can hold two MAX's, high armor
AMS (Advanced Mobile Station) - Allows a respawn point that isn't a base or a tower. Can only spawn infantry.
Router - enables you to create a router pad, which within half an SOI (think those circles in the picture of the continent) can warp players from the router to wherever the pad is placed.
Skygaurd - AA land-based, very effective, low-armor.
Lightning - Small Battle Tank - one 75mm cannon, along with a 12mm gun. One operator.
ANT - used for refilling bases NTU's.

Air vehicles:
Lodestar - allows transportation of anything up to a Main Battle Tank (MBT), also can serve as a mobile repair station & re-arm station for vehics.
Galaxy - Troop transport. A whole squad, plus anything up to a lightning as vehic cargo. Carries MAX's
Galaxy Gunship - Troop Transport turned into floating death fortress. I believe it's 6 gunners. Five 35mm guns (tail gun is the fifth with two on each side) and on each side there is a grenade gun which is decent at killing infantry/vehics.
Reaver - one main Air, the main choice of kill-whores, has 16 rocket pods that are excellent against vehics. Also has two 35mm guns (i think) for use in air 2 air.
Mosquito - one main air, excellent at killing a troop with its single 12mm gun (if you have good aim). Provides radar benefits when moving slowly.
Wasp - one main air, used for Air - to - Air combat. has lock-on missiles to air only, and a 20mm nose gun.
Liberator - three man bomber, one driver with a 50mm nose gun, one bomber, one tail gunner. Switch between Infantry/Vehicle bombs.
Vulture - two man bomber, quicker than liberator, 35mm nose gun, only Vehicle bombs (but can still kill infantry)
Invisible ship - can't remember name, but strictly used as a troop transport for 5 people.

Empire Specific:
NC:
Vanguard - Main battle tank. Two operators, one driver, one gunner. Powerful main cannon shot, low ROF, plus 20mm gun mostly for dealing with Air. Most armor for a tank.
Enforcer - Assault Buggy. Two operators, one driver, one gunner. Rocket on the back, not used too much.
Thunderer - NC version of the Deliverer. Has two gauss cannons on top that one shot one kill infantry. Best Deliverer Variant. Amphibious.
Sunderer Variant (can't remember name) - can't remember much about it, new one, only reason people use it is to EMP mines/turrets/vehicles.

TR:
Prowler - MBT - three operators. One driver, one 35mm gunner, one dual 150mm cannon gunner. High ROF, one shot one kill infantry. HORRIBLE torque, horrible agility. 35mm gunner is useless, but was meant to fight enemy air (horribly).
Marauder - assault buggy. Three operators. One driver, one 12mm gunner, one grenade 360 turret on the back. Fun to drive, but not enough armor or DPS makes it not driven a whole lot.
Raider - TR version of the Deliverer. 5 35mm guns so 1 driver, 5 gunners. Excellent if everyone can aim. However that's rarely the case. Amphibious.
Sunderer variant - dunno same as NC with the EMP thing.

VS:
Magrider - MBT - two operators. One driver with a small laser cannon (pea shooter) and one gunner that shoots a laser rail. Very accurate, low damage. Can float in water unlike other MBT.
Thresher - Assault Buggy. Two operators, one driver, one gunner that shoots laser orbs that are hard as shit to aim and take forever to kill someone.
Aurora - Deliver Variant. Alternate fire on this vehic can one shot an infantry, but its orbs, and you have to account for them spraying out in a non-perfect direction with a weird arc. Amphibious.
Sunderer variant - same as rest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm 
]BoS[ Member

So now that I've explained a shit ton about the game, here is the strategy section:

To conquer a base, you must hack the control console, which is located inside the base. In the different kinds of bases, it's in different places. Once a CC is hacked, you have 15 minutes to remove the hack or the base flips to the empire who hacked it. When you have a base hacked, you no longer have to hack individual doors in the base to get further into the base. Defenders of the base have to hack their terminals to access their equipment loadouts, causing more time for them to get ready.

To stop the defending team from spawning, you have to destroy their respawn tubes, of which there are three, or destroy the generator. If you destroy the generator then none of the equipment terminals work, respawn tubes do not work, vehicle terminals do not work. Every base has at least one tower close to it's SOI. A tower can be hacked by anyone regardless of link and is used as a spawn-point and most towers have two turrets for defense. Towers are the only way to get into a MAX suit besides a base as well, so they can be important in that regard. An Air tower also has the ability to repair air vehicles with two pads on the top of the tower.

Blowing the gen is generally frowned upon because the attacking team finds it useful to hack the defender's vehicle terminals to pull additional vehicles, and to hack equipment terminals to re-load and re-fit.

There are some circumstances where blowing the gen is accepted - when doing gen holds. If the empire you are attacking only has one tech left, or has two bases left, then you can opt to do a gen hold on one of those. In this you blow the gen, get out of the gen room, then come back in after it explodes to hold it down so the enemy cannot repair.

Also you can drain a base by destroying the gen. All bases are run off NTU's. NTU's go to 100% and down to 0%. If a base goes down to 0% it becomes neutral and any empire can hack it without a link. However to actually claim that base after it being neutral, an ANT is needed to refill the NTU silo. Some things that lower NTU : respawning, vehicle spawning, destroyed equipment terminals, destroyed base turrets, destroyed any terminals. Some black ops groups go around and drain NTU behind enemy lines in an attempt to break a stalemate.

There are many certifications that a player can have. I believe you start the game as BR1/CR0 and have 6 certification points (CP) to play with. As you gain Battle Ranks, you receive one CP for each rank until after rank 26, in which you receive a CP every even level.

CR on the other hand is Command Rank. This is gained when you are the leader of a squad and capture enemy bases (the only way to get command experience).
CR1 gives you the ability to place waypoints for the entire squad to see on their own maps. It also gives you a shinguard piece for your char.
CR2 gives you the ability to access the CUD (Command Uplink Device) which fits in a smaller slot. The only thing that you can use at CR2 is reveal friendlies, which reveals them across the entire continent.
CR3 gives you CR1/CR2 abilities plus the ability to draw on the map for the whole squad to see. Character gets a wrist-guard. You also get access to an EMP, which enables you to clear a 10m range of mines, turrets, and disable vehicles.
CR4 gives you CR1/CR2/CR3 abilities plus the ability to have an orbital strike which is 10m. This just about kills anything directly on the dot (2m radius) friend or enemy. Also get a 'reveal enemies' which allows you to view all enemies fairly close to you. The second wrist guard is added.
CR5 gives you CR1-4 abilities. It gives you the ability to give orders across the entire continents, and on specific continents. Also gives you a special channel to talk with other same empire CR5's. Your orbital strike is 20m and kills everything within that range, except BFR's on the very outskirts of the 20m. Reveal enemies is now almost the whole continent. EMP is increased to 20m as well. You get a cool backpack to wear.

So many different tactics. I didn't go over BFR's (battleframe robotics) because they are gay. They are like huge transformers (except they don't transform) and have a shit-ton of armor. They are death machines, but have been nerfed to where they are not as prevalent as they used to be. You can get an AA/AV/AI BFR, and have two of the weapons at once (two operators, one driver/gunner, one gunner) or a single, flying BFR that has just one of the AA/AV/AI and has jump jets for flying over small distances and escaping incoming fire. EMP blasts from EMP nades or from the CUD slows down the BFR ROF and speed.

BFR Pic:

Overall, it's an awesome game. The one thing that ruined it for a lot of people was the inclusion of BFR's. When they first came out they were unstoppable pwnmobiles. One BFR could take on several MBT's, at least 30-40 infantry. They have rechargeable shields. It's stupid, and I'm glad they nerfed it, but it was too late. BFR's singlehandedly made armor columns of a lot of MBT's expendable. They also allowed the Chinese to get into it, then Japanese, then Russians, which makes for a laggy experience when shooting them, causing some warping issues. Cheating also started to happen. There were hacks to minimize the bloom of your weapon when being fired so that there was no recoil. They also nerfed a lot of things, like surge (which is basically running fast using an implant). You used to be able to use your weapon while in surge, and when you did this in a tower, you warped around a lot and it was hard for the person attacking you to shoot you. They made so much AA too that it became hard as hell to fly when there are AA BFR's that can jump in the air and have lock-on missiles. There was originally only Infantry AV & AA Maxes to combat air. They then introduced the skygaurd, the AA BFR, the skyguard, and the wasp.

The original PS developers left the game after the first couple years to work on other projects and for other companies. The new PS developers decided to listen to shitty players and make the game more shitty with the inclusion of what I listed above. That coupled with Sony's ability to shit all over everything. They abandoned marketing to the game and included it in the 'Station' package which is like $50 a month and includes star wars galaxies, PS, and 10 other MMO's. It slowly lost its player-base and has gone from 5 servers (two East Coast, two West Coast, one European) to 3 servers (One East Coast, One WC, One European) to 2 servers (One EC, one European) to 1 server (EC).

There's just not a better feeling when playing a game, and you're struggling to regain a hacked base as the defender. There are also so many ways to play it's not funny. If you don't feel like shooting people, go around and do support by certing an AMS and using advanced med to resuscitate dead people. If you feel like sneaking around, go cloaker and throw nades at people while invisible, or try and kill someone with a pistol. If you want to kill-whore, grab heavy assault and have at it. If you just want to go around in vehicles instead of on foot, it's possible. If you want to go snipe on a hill and not get up close, you can do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm 
]BoS[ Member

I forgot to mention - there are also outfits. Outfits are like clans, and you get 10% of your battle experience is used for your outfit points. There is a leaderboard for outfit points, but it long ago was conquered with the first group getting over 10 million points. They had some cool ideas for outfits and uses for outfit points but they never panned out. Instead it's used as a way to measure your success as an outfit, and gives you a special channel just to chat with your outfit mates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 am 
]BoS[ Member

holy scads of information batman. i think it would have been easier to post a link

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 am 
]BoS[ Member

it was more fun to this

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 pm 
]BoS[ Member

New Galaxy (Air Transport Ship):

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

i played planet side back in the day for a few months lol i think i was terran republic too... damn lots of info lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Yeah, hope it was a pleasant enough read.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am 
]BoS[ Member

TR Galaxy:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

that looks the same as the other ship lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 am 
]BoS[ Leader

Planetside always had about the same models for the different races. They just had different color schemes.

Also, how do you know these are legit? :bleh:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm 
]BoS[ Member

I loved the first Planetside and if this is legit, you can count me in. I used to fly the huge transport ship and drop squads onto capture points. It was extremely fun, but I really didn't know many people playing, so I fazed it out. If BoS is supporting it, I'd love to join in.

And Spank, you can bet your ass if their is repairing I will run you over at least 4 times in a game session ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next