It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: MW2 review and thoughts (long read)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:27 pm 
Urban L337

Okay so after playing the game for awhile I have some thoughts and complaints, but mainly complaints. This is sort of a rant because I have become so frustrated. I have had a lot of down time lately so I've been playing the hell out of MW2.

*Skip to the bottom for my multiplayer rant.

Okay, so I beat the game on Veteran once through. That took me about 12 hours total since it was in fact pretty difficult to play. The story was harder to follow than the first but it added some really sweet aspects like the slow-mo breaches and battlefronts set in the suburbs of America. I still think the first Modern Warfare left me with more of a "wow" factor, but I guess that's pretty tough to top with a sequel of any sort. As a matter of fact, COD4's single-player is ranked second on my list only to Half-Life 2, so if you haven't played it through I highly recommend it. One thing that didn't appear in the MW2 single-player was an AC-130 or gunship mission (one of the coolest video game experiences in my opinion), though they did make their way over to the Spec-Ops (two player only) and multiplayer (kill-streak reward) portions of the game. So after I beat the single-player and earned all the trophies I felt were worthwhile, I moved over the Spec-Ops. After reading some early online reviews, I really had some high hopes for this part of the game. However, after completing roughly half of the missions I felt sort of let down. Most, if not all the missions come directly from the single-player mode of MW2 and COD4 and aren't any different at all except for the fact they are timed. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but many of them just take too damn long to play. If you're trying to do a mission that takes at least 10 minutes to complete and you die 9 minutes in, you have to start from the beginning. And I guarantee if you're playing on Veteran it will take you more than just two attempts. The graphics on PS3 obviously don't even come close to PC and there are even times in heavy action and smoke filled areas that the game lags pretty bad. But overall MW2 is a really top notch game that most of us can't appreciate after playing the crap of the first one.

Multiplayer. Where the hell do I start? Heartbeat sensors...fuck them. For those of you that don't know, a heartbeat sensor is a new attachment that is really easy to unlock for every single gun which shows where nearby enemies are in relation to you. In other words, it's a fucking legal hack built into the game. Yeah it's a neat idea for some single-player missions, but it doesn't belong in multiplayer. I can't tell you how many little faggot noobs camp in a spot with that thing and just wait until they see people coming on the sensor. It takes almost all the skill out of the game. There is also this new perk called Commando. Not only is knifing someone still auto-aimed, with this perk you can be almost twice as far away from someone to knife them. Are you fucking kidding me? So now you can see everyone coming AND you can get an automatic kill by knifing them from a mile away. Pathetic. Now those things apply to all platforms including PC. This is solely a console issue. For some God-awful reason IW created this aiming assist feature where you will lock onto enemies if you are zoomed in for a second. WHAT THE FUCK?! That eliminates what separates the good players from the bad players. You have to be coordinated enough to aim and kill people both from long distance and close up. I'm sure there are other things that piss me off but those are the biggies.

Now it wouldn't be fair just to list the negatives of multiplayer since there are some new cool features. One being the ability to wield dual weapons on a variety of different guns. Dual Desert Eagles are a favorite of mine. Throwing knives, semtex (sticky-nades) and tactical insertions (pick your spawn point) are all neat additions to the online game play as well. There are also many new kill-streaks you can unlock such as a sentry gun (5 kills), the AC-130 (11 kills) and a nuke that will automatically win you the game (25 kills). It's just so damn frustrating to see what a missed opportunity this is for PC community. I mean excluding the issues I previously mentioned and with the DAM mod, MW2 would have been an AMAZING game for competition. The game is very balanced and holds so much potential. Unfortunately we'll never get to experience it. I'm almost at level 70 (the cap) and once I reach it I don't really plan on playing it any more. I definitely got my money's worth and had some fun playing it, but I just find myself flipping out more and more frequently.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]